SIU grants conditional admission (for most undergraduate majors) to international students who meet the minimum academic requirements for admission except for English Proficiency. Students admitted conditionally will be required to attend the Center for English as a Second Language until they are able to pass the English requirement.
A student will be considered a transfer student if he or she has taken any coursework at college/university level. All transcripts must be submitted, no exceptions.
Students who have completed 0-25 semester hours at the college/university level will also be required to submit high school transcripts.
SIU has no application deadline for most majors for undergraduate international students however, it is recommended that students submit all materials at least 2 months in advance of the semester start date in order to allow for adequate visa processing time.
These requirements apply to ALL undergraduate Major classifications unless otherwise noted:
(1) Application & Fee: The application fee of $40 cannot be waived for undergraduate students.
(2) English Language Requirements: (any one of the following methods will meet the minimum English requirement)
- TOEFL - 68 on the internet based test
- TOEFL - 520 on the paper-based test (We do not accept the revised paper based test)
- ITEP - 4.0 (academic plus only)
- IELTS - 6.0
- 2 Face-to-face English composition classes are taken in the U.S. at the college level with a grade of A or B
- Have completed more than 48 college-level credit hours at a U.S. institution
- Are from a country whose primary language is English (i.e.: United Kingdom, Australia as verified by admissions officer)
- Graduated from a U.S. high school having spent the final 2 years in the U.S.
- Have been released by SIU's Center for English as a Second Language (CESL)
- Students who do not meet the above requirements must attend CESL and be released before they will be allowed to attend SIU
(3) Academic Requirements: (grade point averages are on a 4.0 scale and are calculated by SIU)
- 26 credits or more at another college/university - submit college/university transcripts showing a GPA of 2.0 or greater on ALL coursework
- 0-25 credits at another college/university - submit high school AND university/college transcripts showing
- 2.0 GPA on all coursework
- proof of graduation
- 5 Passes on the GCE O or A-level exams (under the Cambridge/ed excel model)
All documents/transcripts must be in an original form bearing the official seal of the issuing institution. Email submissions will NOT be accepted. Attested copies bearing an original stamp and signature of the attester may be accepted if an original transcript is unavailable to obtain.
Applicants should submit official test scores or high school diplomas/certificates, or proof of graduation as applicable
(4) Financial Statement: (minimum requirement is listed in the "Total Financial Statement Required" column)
International students must submit proof of assured financial resources sufficient to pay for their entire first year of tuition, fees, and living expenses. Applicants must submit an official bank statement which shows the balance of the account within the last 6 months. The minimum amount required for admission can be found here in the Minimum Financial Statement column.
*Students who wish to bring their spouse and/or child as an F-2 or J-2 dependent must also give proof of sufficient financial resources for each. A student must show an additional $5,000 for a spouse and/or $2,500 per child. Students can be admitted without financial proof for dependents, however, immigration documents will not be issued for dependents until sufficient proof of funding is received.
(5) Not required for admission: (for most undergraduate majors)
- personal essays
- recommendation letters
- SAT or ACT tests
*However, freshmen students may be eligible for the High Achievers Tuition Rate based on SAT/ACT scores
*Transfer students may be eligible for the High Achievers Tuition Rate based on their GPA