Transferring to SIU from U.S. College | International Education | SIU

Main Content

International students studying in the United States that wish to transfer to Southern Illinois University (SIU) will be considered a “transfer student”. To qualify as a “transfer student” you must meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • Must be currently enrolled at a college or university in the United States.
  • Must have completed an academic program at a college or university in the United States and intend to continue your education at SIU in the fall, spring, or summer term.
  • Have attended a college or university or completed an academic program in the United States, but you are presently out of the United States and plan to return to attend SIU. The time you spent outside the United States must be less than five (5) months.
  • Have completed an academic program and are authorized for Optional Practical Training and intend to start a new academic program upon completion of our OPT.

All international students, F or J visa status, studying in the United States have been assigned a SEVIS ID number. SIU must update your SEVIS record if you wish to transfer. You must notify your international student advisor of your intention to transfer and determine a date that you would like to be released to transfer to SIU. You must then fill out the “Transfer Authorization Form” and when it is received back from your previous school, SIU will issue you an I-20 when the transfer release date has past.

You will also want to figure out how your credits will transfer to SIU by seeing here.