Agreement to host J-1 Scholar
The U.S. Department of State (DoS) has mandatory requirements that must be met for foreign nationals to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program (J-1 Visa). Therefore, the SIU faculty sponsor hosting the Exchange Visitor (EV) and any dependents (J-2 Visa) must agree to the following responsibilities in order for the Center for International Education (CIE) to issue the DS-2019 immigration document (s) for an EV and any dependents:
- Monitor the Exchange Visitor’s (EV) conduct to ensure s/he engages in activities appropriate for the EV category and makes reasonable progress toward the program objectives.
- Ensure EV and all dependents maintain the adequate DoS mandated health insurance coverage for the entire program duration (see Mandatory Insurance Information for details).
- Understand significance of program start and end dates and report all changes to CIE.
- Notify CIE of EV’s departure date from the US, particularly if it is earlier than the original end date.
- Inform CIE of any changes to the EV’s program including:
- Changes in local address, email, or phone number
- Changes in types or amounts of funding
- Changes in program activities including date changes or changes in objectives.
- Keep track of travel abroad and re-entry of both EV and dependents.
- Provide assistance in securing housing (email email@example.com for suggestions).
- Prepare ‘Notice of Appointment’ paperwork to have SIU ID (Dawg Tag/Network ID) issued, including search waiver request.
- Ensure the EV and dependents comply with all DoS regulations and SIU policies.
- Provide EVs with cross-cultural experiences exposing them to American society and culture.
- Encourage and arrange opportunities for EV to learn about life in the US and its people.
- Provide a written summary of cultural activities to CIE at the end of EV’s stay.
STEP 2 > Ensuring the minimum requirements are met