Health and Wellness
The United States does not have a social system for health insurance. Each person must be responsible for purchasing health insurance (annually). Although you may be a very healthy person, accidents do happen, and couples do have children (despite careful planning). You are legally required to carry health insurance. SIU offers health insurance for most registered students.
- SIU's health insurance does meet J1 visa requirements
- More information can be found here.
- The insurance fee is automatically charged in the students tuition and fee.
- Therefore most international students do not need to take any action in order for this coverage to take place (except pay their bursar bill).
Health Insurance Waiver
Beginning in the Fall 2018, there is a new process for international students to submit an application to waive the Student Health Insurance plan. You will no longer be able to submit a waiver form electronically at www.gallagherstudent.com/siu. If you would like to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan and you believe your plan provides comparable coverage, you will need to bring the following insurance documents to the Student Health Center Administration office located on the second floor.
- Completed International Student Waiver Form. This form should be completed using your computer, and not hand written. After the form is completed using your computer, print the completed form.
- Proof of insurance such as an insurance card or other official document with your name and insurance identification number on it.
- Insurance document that identifies what services your plan covers. This is called a ‘Summary of Benefits’ and should be part of your insurance plan documents.
You must bring all three documents together and provide them in person. The Student Health Center Administration office will not accept applications without all three documents, and will not accept information that is mailed, faxed, or emailed. The deadline to submit a waiver form is August 31, 2018 at 4:30 pm.
Once approved for a health insurance waiver, it is your responsibility to maintain the required health insurance coverage. If you are a J-1 student sponsored by SIU and opt to waive your SIU health insurance, you will be required to submit proof of your coverage to the International Students and Scholars office at the Center for International Education.
All newly enrolled students, as mandated by Illinois state law, must have an immunization form completed before the end of the first semester of attendance. The immunizations required include: diphtheria, tetanus, measles, rubella, mumps, and a TB skin test. If these immunizations have not been received in the past, or a doctor cannot verify that any or all of the shots have been given, then you must contact the SIU Health Service to schedule an appointment to receive the required immunizations. Please remember that this law is for your well-being. If you do not comply with this law, you will not be able to register the next semester, and your registration for your current classes will be canceled. For more information, contact the Immunization Office at (618)453-3311.
Click here for the steps to comply with this rule.