Pre-Arrival in Carbondale
1) Pay the SEVIS processing fee (I-901 fee) at www.fmjfee.com.
2) Schedule a visa appointment with the U.S. Department of State.
3) All students are required to show proof of immunization. Please obtain your records before you arrive to Carbondale using the SIU Health Service Form.
5) Claim your SIU Network ID (also called a Dawg Tag) - this number was provided to you on your admission letter (SIU85xxxxxxx). You may find instructions to Claim your Network ID and finding your DawgTag here.
6) Bring a European (220v) to U.S. (110v) electricity converter with you! If you try to buy one when you get to the U.S., you will only find U.S. to European converters.
7) Purchase your plane ticket, and arrange your travel itinerary to Carbondale, Illinois. Saint Louis, Lambert Airport is the recommended final destination, not Chicago.
9) Coordinate your travel itinerary with us by filling out this form.
10) Bring enough money to pay for your transportation to Carbondale, housing deposit, and tuition/fees.
11) Hug your family.
12) Keep all of your immigration documents easily accessible during your trip to the U.S. (you will need to present them).
IMPORTANT PICK-UP POLICY
We can pick students up from the Marion airport (MWA), Carbondale bus and train stations, and local hotels. We will begin pick ups the Friday prior to Orientation. For pick up assistance, please fill out this form as soon as possible.
IMPORTANT INTERNATIONAL CHECK POLICY
SIU’s Bursar’s office will not accept checks written from an overseas bank until AFTER the second week of the semester. If you choose to use a foreign check, there will be a six week hold on any refunds. The check must be made out to SIU in U.S. dollars. If the check is not made out in U.S. dollars, the student will be held responsible for additional processing fees. Refunds will be returned directly to the issuing bank.
Prior to your arrival make note of this policy when making your financial arrangements.
IMPORTANT TELEPHONE NUMBERS:
Center for International Education
Hours: Mon - Fri, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Emergencies/After-Hours (only during Orientation)
(618) 218-8839 or (618) 201-8164