Current CESL Students
Please see below for information which applies ONLY to students who are enrolled at SIU's Center for English as a Second Language (CESL).
Undergraduate students should follow these steps:
1) Fill out the application online and pay the fee for the semseter after you will be released from CESL. So if you think you will be released when you complete the fall semester, apply for the spring semester.
2) Mail SIU the required documents:
- English Proficiency - when the admission officer emails you about proof of English proficiency, reply that you are in CESL right now
- Transcripts from high school (ONLY if you have taken less than 26 credits at another college/university)
- Transcripts from ALL colleges attended
- Financial Statement (within the last 6 months)
- Photocopy of first two pages of passport
WE DO NOT ACCEPT OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS VIA EMAIL
Please send these original items in the mail to:
SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
Center for International Education
Room 032, Woody Hall
425 Clocktower Drive, MC 4333
Carbondale, IL 62901-4333
You can drop the items off in person but it is not necessary. Please understand that SIU does not give any information about students to anyone except the student. It is illegal for us to discuss your admission with anyone but you.
Graduate and Ph.D. students:
1. An official copy of an English proficiency exam is required for admission consideration. A score must be submitted even if it is low. CESL students must submit the most recent copy of their TOEFL exam taken at SIU.
3. Please contact your department directly for status checks or if you have any questions regarding your application.
4. Due to the high amount of fraudulent test scores received, Graduate School reserves the right to reject any English Proficiency Score.
5. Students who complete CESL must have the required TOEFL score at the time CESL is completed. CESL must certify your results. If the required TOEFL score is not achieved at the time CESL is completed, students will not be allowed to matriculate into graduate school and will be required to either stay in CESL or return home. No exceptions to the TOEFL requirement will be granted.