1. Get a passport from your home country
2. Get admitted to SIU: click here for admission steps
3. Receive an I-20 (for F-1) or DS 2019 (for J-1) immigration document from SIU
4. Take that I-20/DS 2019 document to the nearest U.S. consulate for a visa interview
5. If the visa interview is successful, you will be given either an F-1 or J-1 visa to enter the U.S.
6. Schedule your travel to the U.S.
7. Prepare for your future at SIU by looking at our pre-arrival information
* Conditional Admission: I-20 will state that you are accepted to SIU under the condition that you first study English. So even if you do not speak fluent English, you may still be allowed to come study. You will simply be required to enroll in English as a Second Language before you are allowed to take classes.