Eligibility Checklist

Main Content

Foreign Nationals who are invited as J-1 Professors, J-1 Research Scholars, or J-1 Short Term Scholars must provide the following documentation to their host department. The host department is responsible for requesting invitation for J-1 EV's. 

Documents Required 

  1. Exchange Visitor Invitation Agreement (Including Required Health Insurance)
  2. Passport bio page (for J-1 and J-2 dependents)
  3. Copy of departmental invitation letter detailing program objectives
  4. Resume/CV (publications list not necessary)
  5. Copies of any previous DS-2019
  6. Proof of funding (in English) which meets these minimum requirements:
    • $1500 per month for the exchange visitor plus
    •  $ 500 per month for the J-2 spouse plus
    •  $ 350 per month for each J-2 child
  7. Proof of English proficiency by one of the following:
    • Recognized English language test (TOEFL Internet Based – 61, or Paper Based Test – 500, IELTS – 5.5)
    • Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school that articulates the scores specified under first option
    • Documented interview conducted in person, by videoconference, or by telephone