Maintaining J-1 Immigration Status | International Education | SIU

Main Content

Download a PDF of this list here 

1.       Maintain a full course of study.

  • Undergraduate students: Enroll in at least 12 credit hours in Fall or Spring (or 6 in Summer if it is your first term)
  • Masters or doctoral students without an assistantship: Enroll in at least 9 credit hours in Fall or Spring (or 3 in Summer if it is your first term)
  • Masters or doctoral students with an assistantship: Enroll in at least 8 credit hours in Fall or Spring (or 3 in Summer if it is your first term)
  • Doctoral students who have been admitted to candidacy and have a graduate assistantship: Enroll in at least 6 credit hours in Fall or Spring (or 3 in Summer if it is your final term)
  • Online coursework – International students are not allowed to register for more than one online course each semester. This online course cannot exceed 3 credit hours. If a student only needs one course to complete their program of study, the course cannot be completed through online or distance education.
  • Special enrollment exceptions exist during your final term: While you may be allowed to register for fewer hours than specified above, you must still enroll in at least 1 course during your final term--- particularly important if Summer is your final term. A Reduced Course Load form must be filed with the CIE office in advance of the start of your final semester.

 2.       Complete the course of study by the date posted in section three (3), of your DS-2019.

  • The DS-2019 has an expiration date established by the time necessary to complete a degree. It expires on that date or when the student completes the course of study, whichever comes first.

 3.       Report to the Center for International Education Office (CIE) to make changes to your DS-2019 including change of major, funding, level of study, or legal name.

 4.       Limit campus employment to a maximum of twenty (20) hours per week while school is in session. You may work full time (37.5 hours per week) when school is not in session. (Employment may require the authorization of your sponsor. If you are unsure if this applies to you, please check with CIE for details.)

 5.       Never work off campus. Off campus internships are an exception. Contact CIE for guidelines.

 6.       Begin the process to apply for Academic Training thirty (30) days before your DS-2019 expiration date.

 7.       Depart the U.S. no later than thirty (30) days after completing your academic program OR apply to and receive a new DS-2019 for a new academic program no later than the expiration date of your DS-2019.

 8.       Have a valid passport the entire time you are in the U.S. and keep your passport valid at least six (6) months into the future.

  • If you are traveling, your passport must be valid at least 6 months into the future at the time of your re-entry into the United States. 

 9.       Report your local Carbondale address within ten (10) days of the time that you establish your residence. Report any future address changes to CIE within ten (10) days including while you are on any authorized practical training. The USCIS requires that you maintain a current address with the University at all times.

  •  You can update your current address by using your SalukiNet account. If you are on Academic Training, please submit address updates via email at 

 10.    If your DS-2019 was issued by SIU, you should secure a signature for travel outside the U.S. from a Responsible Officer at the CIE office at least two weeks prior to your departure. All sponsored students should contact your J-1 sponsor directly.

 11.    Report to CIE when you intend to leave SIU, especially if you are graduating earlier than the program end date on your DS-2019.

The Center for International Education staff is required to strictly enforce all of these rules and regulations. In case of a violation we are required to report any irregularities to the U.S. Department of State.